Monday, July 24, 2006

Man with a magic swing


IF you can’t get a hold of Greg Swan on a Thursday afternoon, there is a good reason: he’s teeing off at the Longreach Golf Club course.

For 20-odd years, Mr Swan has found pleasure in what many consider to be a frustrating sport.
"Some people can’t take to golf," Mr Swan said.

"But for me if I hit a good shot, then that experience just takes me back again and again."

Mr Swan won another Longreach club championship on July 9, taking that to 18 wins in 18 years.

The club championship is the only event played without handicaps during the year, in turn making the winner the best player at the club.

"This year was a much closer competition.

"In the last round I was only leading by two shots, but I managed to get up by six shots in the end.
"In the past five or six years I have won by 14 or more shots.
"The runner up this year, Chris Loveday, is a very handy golfer, but it just wasn’t his weekend."
A Queensland golfing magazine detailed Mr Swan’s illustrious career at the Longreach Golf Club, when he was up to 16 consecutive wins.

At that time they put the call out for any golfer to match Mr Swan’s record.

"They said: ‘If anyone knows of anyone who has done any better then get in touch with us’ – they still haven’t heard anything.

"I will keep playing golf on the weekends and on Thursday afternoons.
"It’s the one sport I like to play and you play what you like."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home