Friday, September 08, 2006

Lee's, errr, fond Longreach memories




















THE last time Lee Kernaghan performed in Longreach, on the steps of the Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame, it was so intense he dropped his dacks in front of the visiting Prime Minister and his wife.

Admittedly the incident was unintentional, but nonetheless it has left the country music star with a formidable memory of Western Queensland.

"I had just finished a fantastic show and was sweating so much that I went backstage, took my clothes off and in walks the PM and his wife," Mr Kernaghan told The Longreach Leader last week.

"I was standing there in my undies and they wanted to congratulate me on a great show!
"I tell you, you learn to keep your trousers on when the PM is in your audience.
"Looking back, that incident is still one of the most embarrassing moments of my life."

Mr Kernaghan, supported by the McClymont Sisters, will perform at the Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame on Saturday, September 16 as part of the inaugural RM Williams Longreach Muster.

Alongside rodeo and campdrafting events, Mr Kernaghan promises to set the stage alight with some songs from his latest album, The New Bush, which was released earlier in the year.

"This album, and nearly every song on it, is about this new generation of people living and working on the land.

"The album is basically all about my own personal, life experiences and the stories of others that have had an impact on me.
"And I am glad to be heading out to Longreach to share that with the locals.
"It will be a completely R M Williams experience, the best of the bush will be there in Longreach."

Apparent from your typical dust, dirt and droving, Mr Kernaghan apparently has a special spot for the utility tray back, for reasons beyond its mobility.

"In the last half-dozen years, the ute has reached iconic status.

"And I will probably get in a lot of trouble for saying this, but with a mattress and the right company the ute can become your ultimate love shack.
"Based on that idea, the song Love Shack came about."

Australian country music artists are a hardy bunch, willing to travel to the most far-flung regions to perform a live set for a bunch of passionate locals, and Lee Kernaghan is no different.

Despite selling over one million albums, winning 20 Golden Guitar awards, three Arias and pumping out eight records, Mr Kernaghan is still passionate about sharing his songs with a live audience.

"For me, I can spend a year writing and recording songs, but it comes down to walking on stage and the crowd’s response.

"Traditionally country artists tour more extensively than your typical rock star.
"Just look at Slim Dusty, right up to his passing he was out there touring."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home