Thursday, March 30, 2006

Helping out our mates in cyclone country


LONGREACH handyman David Minchin packed up his truck and travelled to north Queensland on Tuesday, keen to help the many communities affected by Cyclone Larry.

As a professional glazier with a wealth of other practical skills, including carpentry and welding, Mr Minchin was certain tradesman like him would be badly needed in the devastated region.

Yet he was undaunted by the difficulties he would face over the next few weeks, explaining that over the years he had had first-hand experience of cyclones.

“I was in Darwin after Cyclone Tracy in 1974 helping to repair the damage and I’ve lived in Cairns and had cyclones come through and rip my own house down,” Mr Minchin said.

“So I know what it’s like to experience one and I know what they can do.”

Mr Minchin has deliberately waited a week before travelling to the region as he believes that it is now that people like him will become an asset to the community instead of just "getting in the way".

“It’s no use going there unless you can do something practical to help,” he said.

“Otherwise you’re just in the way.
“I’ll take my own tools, a tarpaulin and a swag and my truck can be used as both a work bench and as a bed.
“I’ll also take my own timber which will help in construction.”

Mr Minchin had no illusions regarding the extent of the damage in the region and how long it would take to fix.

“It’s going to take at least two years for the region to return to normal,” he said.

“You don’t put up a house over night.
“But I believe if you’ve got the means to help out and you don’t do it, then there is something wrong with you.
“After all, what comes around goes around.
“We might need north Queensland’s help one day.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on ya, Mr Minchin! It's good to see those people who can, packing up and helping the people up north try to get their lives back together.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home